Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Wednesday Baking

Ahhh, success! Sort of. I don't know if you would call this loaf of bread beautiful but it does have a lot of character. The only problem I have with this recipe is that it's dangerous. You see, one of the last steps is to take the very wet sticky dough that has been proofing for a total of 18 hours and drop it into a cast iron dutch oven that has been preheated to 500 degrees without destroying the round shape. This scares the hell out of me! The last thing I want to do is get 2nd degree burns on my hands. Owww! So every time I come to this part of the recipe I get so nervous that the dough folds over itself and I mangle the perfect round shape I have worked so hard to create while juggling it over this radiating cauldron. This time was no exception hence the seam in the picture. Luckily this dough is pretty forgiving and slightly evens itself out while baking. The end result is always comical yet tasty.

I can't wait for dinner tonight.

No comments: